Thursday, October 16, 2014

Marketing Novels

With the popularization of self-publishing and the resulting glut of books available for download (ignoring for now the print book, which I truly fear is headed for extinction--and a disastrously sad day that will be for all mankind, too), it has become more and more difficult for those of us who have finally broken into the traditional book publishing game to distinguish our offerings from the DIY novels.

Don't get me wrong; my first novel, Tangent, was published by a press so small that only two books ever came from it. My second book, the humorous non-fiction work Ex Mentis Saxonicum, was outright self-published, and never marketed at all other than by word-of-mouth. I am therefore quite sympathetic with all who choose self-publishing as a means of bypassing the years of frustration and dashed hopes that often accompany trying to wedge one's foot into the door of old-school publishing. The problem is that there are now hundreds if not thousands of new titles every year from which readers must select. I have been writing for publication for 35 years; my books are well-written and expertly edited. How do I get across to potential readers that my novels are a cut above and deserve to be read?

Authors traditionally rely on their publishing houses to do the lion's share of the marketing, but small presses have neither the staff nor the deep pockets necessary to make themselves heard over the tumult of hundreds of larger, better-funded firms. What it all boils down to is that loyal readers play an absolutely critical role in the success of an author not signed with a major house. If you are reading this blog and want to see my novels coming out at reasonable intervals, I would ask that you make as much noise on social media as possible. I am working on a humorous video that will hopefully go viral, as well.

I love writing, and I love thinking that people enjoy reading what I write. If you want to see more of it, spread the word. Together we can accomplish the seemingly impossible. I have faith in all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment